Pages

Monday, March 12, 2012

Domestic Goddess: Tilapia & Salads

Two weekends ago, I cooked. Now, this wouldn't be remarkable for other people but for someone like me (who doesn't even know how to cook rice), it was certainly a feat.   And this was for no other explanation than because I was suddenly inspired to practice my skills on the domestic front.

Aside from the fact that I never really encountered an opportunity where cooking for myself became essential, it was also something for which I was never really trained.  Growing up, my aunts had a small bakery business and sure enough, baking was something I was trained to do, but not cooking.

So cooking is somewhat intimidating for me.  But little by little, I want to conquer that fear. 

I started with this easy, healthy recipe for baked lemon garlic tilapia. Since I couldn't find dried parsley flakes, I substituted fresh parsley instead. While this was still something "baked", this was still the first "real food" (not cakes or pastries) that I made by myself!
Lemon Garlic Tilapia
I paired the tilapia with a mixed greens, grilled chicken, and pear salad with honey vinaigrette which I found here
Mixed Greens Salad
Then the next day, I tried out another salad recipe, this time for a Greek salad.  And I even cut and prepared all the ingredients myself!
.

Greek Salad
To be honest, I was very surprised with how easy it was to do the recipes. I thought it would be hard to find all the ingredients in one place but I got all of them in my neighborhood Unimart Supermarket.  I also thought cooking and preparing food for myself would be such a tedious process---but I learned it was just a matter of getting the right, easy recipes, and that cooking can actually be fun and rewarding.

Now, it's just on to learn how to cook rice :) Cheers!

7 comments:

  1. Rice cooker Judy! :)

    I'm happy that your exploring this side of you too. It's healthier if we prepare our meals, yun lang, we have to make the effort.

    I will try your baked fish soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maski rice cooker hindi pa ako marunong! But soon, I hope! :) Actually, another reason why I wanted to cook my meals was because I wanted something low fat and healthy :) hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you go along, you will find that it definitely gets easier.:) I started cooking meals for my own family eight years into the marriage - late bloomer!:) Although, it is easier for me now than when I started five years ago, I am definitely a cook who abides by a recipe book. I cannot cook "blind."

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the encouragement Tina! :) I've seen your cooking masterpieces and it's so amazing that you cooked quite recently lang pala. You're one of my inspirations :)

      Delete
  4. Congratulations! Everything looks really yummy!

    I know how to cook but since my bro and dad are better at it (and more enthusiastic at that), I let them do the cooking almost everytime. But when I got married, I realized how sorely lacking my cache of recipes were so I scoured the net (thank heavens for the web!) and copied a few recipes. When I came back to Manila, I bought those small "Yummy" magazine recipe books (the cheap ones sold in bookstores) and the recipes haven't failed me yet. I usually don't like cookbooks since I've never had any luck with them, pero these yummy mags are tried and tested. I'm thinking of buying some more to bring back to SG nga e. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tin! I will try out the Yummy recipe books. I think I have one of their magazines and I want to try out some recipes there too :)

      Delete
  5. I enjoy cooking, especially for the people I love. Impressive...that's a good start, Judy! Way to go! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...