Pages

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Studio Fix by Alex Carbonell & A Hair Story


Last Saturday, I decided to get a cut in the salon, from the hair stylist ,that's fast becoming my favorite, Studio Fix by Alex Carbonell.

Admittedly, this was only the second time that I was going to have my hair cut by Alex. I'm the type of girl who likes to develop a relationship with the person cutting my hair. Whether from Doc from the neighborhood David's (who moved to a different branch) to Kei Rivera of Toni & Guy who first cut my hair into a precision bob in 2007 after 13 years of long hair. I was so impressed with her attention to every little detail of the cut that after leaving Toni & Guy, I even followed Kei to Basement Salon and when she migrated to Australia soon after, I scrambled searching for a worthy replacement.


2007. Kei from Toni & Guy



In the search for my stylist, I experienced a nightmarish incident with a know-no-English Korean stylist in Tony and Jackey (although I'll reconsider having my hair permed there based on a boss' recent nice big curls). I was traumatized by having my hair cut by somebody who couldn't even understand a word I was saying. Another Korean stylist who knew Tagalog had to step in and save my hair. My cut in Tony & Jackey was super cheap compared to other salons but the precision (which is the most important thing with bobs) left much to be desired, as you will see from this pic:

2008. From Tony and Jackey Makati

Then I even got my bob styled in late 2008 with Chiyo Tagami of Sei Salon, the Japanese stylist famous for giving Gretchen her super short bob at the time. When I told her if she can replicate Gretchen's bob on me, she told me, "But the shape of Greta's head is perfect!" Ang taray! But at least she could understand English and Tagalog. I was still happy with my cut with her, even with the P1,500 price tag. She cut my hair really short and it grew out really nice. I wasn't able to take a picture but this was how it looked close to that time Chiyo cut my hair. For me, one of the tests of a good haircut is how well it will grow months after the stylist cuts it. And I certainly had my money's worth with Chiyo. :)

Later on, I grew out my hair and I was back to being a long haired girl again. Fast forward to 2010, when I first had my hair cut by Alex Carbonell, THE Alex Carbonell I later learned. He was referred to me by my good friend from Samar, Joel Estrelles, who is also making his name in the world of wedding hairstyling.

What I instantly liked about Alex was that he was pleasant but was not too machika and thus, didn't come off as fake. And of course, it goes without saying that I liked how he cut my hair.Very gentle and respectful and effortless. Yet you could see the results. The first time he cut my hair, I wanted long layers. In my mind, I was thinking "rich girl layers"---as in you know that cut which most ladies who lunch have? Just the right amount of layers and waves and body. And without so many words, he got it. :)

With Alex Carbonell at Studio Fix (September 2010)


Of course, this was the salon perfect version---as in fresh from rollers & a professional blow out. In real life, I am not a lady who lunches ---YET! (hehe) so I will save that cut for a later chapter in my life. In the meantime, I had to have a cut that will work with my often stressful weekday mornings. I never ever blow dry my hair at home and the only wind my hair gets daily is from the electric fan. Or sometimes, no time to do even that at all. And no time for daily conditioner either! And yet I must say, even with my God-given straight hair, the cut still worked. :)

September 2010

After five months (!! so guilty of not getting hair properly trimmed!), and with the layers now all over the place, it's finally time for another cut with Alex.

March 2011

Studio Fix is actually the high end salon of the Fix group of salons (Bench) and Alex is not only the creative director but a partner in Studio Fix as well. He's available in Studio Fix only on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays. Tuesdays and Thursdays, he trains the stylists of Fix salons. It's best to book your appointment with him in advance. I called in my appointment the day before and the earliest slot for Saturday was already at 4 pm. A cut by Alex (as Creative Director) is at P1,200.00. For me, the relaxing feel of the salon (even if it was full) plus the awesomest head massage ever while my hair was being washed were already worth half the price. And of course, with the cut itself, I was definitely happily satisfied.

This time, I had wanted super full bangs (incidentally like Bianca Gonzales', whose hair Alex has been doing for the last decade). But as Alex was cutting, he found that something about the direction my hair was growing made him suggest to just give me not-so full bangs which I could later style sideways as they grow. It was just as well because I was kind of having second thoughts with the full bangs due to the coming humid summer months.


And he even told me that I could come cover for bangs trimming FOR FREE :) Love! And I loved my hair even more after I went home and styled it myself, sans the blow dryer--perhaps the real test of a good haircut :)

A few days before the cut:
And after:

If you're looking for a stylist who cuts really well and with with whom you can even build a hair relationship, Alex Carbonell is the man :) Cheers!


Studio Fix by Alex Carbonell
Level 4, Greenbelt 5
Makati City
Telephone: 632-5013062 and 632-5013064

15 comments:

  1. I've been eyeing on Studio Fix and try their services for the longest time now. I have no idea what's stopping me though. Anyway, services and prices-wise, is it worth it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anne. I would say the price is worth it, especially if you're really looking to get a different hairstyle from what you have now.If you do decide to try Studio Fix, I suggest you go all out and try Alex Carbonell himself :) And be sure to book your appointment in advance! Let me know how it goes ok? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How much is a haircut with Alex Carbonell though? :) I'm planning to visit the salon sometime in August. I really need a "new" look. This "long" hair is getting odd. Been sporting this 'do for YEARS already, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anne. Haircut with Alex is at P1,200. :)I had long hair for more than 10 years before I had it bobbed in 2007 and it really felt refreshing. I have long hair again now but I'm no longer "afraid" of short hair and will do it again in a heartbeat :) Alex told me before that he's good with bobs. let met know how it goes :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How much tip is appropriate ? Am a newbie with high end salons and want a very good haircut. I just haven't found a good short hair stylist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anon! Alex is a creative director and a partner at Studio Fix but that doesn't mean he's the sole owner of the salon. Some people are still confused by this and when I asked the receptionist, I was told that some don't give tips anymore---thinking that since Alex is the salon owner, no need to give him tips. But I do give tips to Alex, his assistant (usually the one coloring my hair) and to the staff doing the shampoo/rinse. It's my way of showing them how thankful I am for a job well done for me. It's a gratuity so I'm sure that whatever you think is enough will be wholeheartedly appreciated. :) Read my other post on the Studio Fix experience here : http://sunsetgoddessmanila.blogspot.com/2012/02/studio-fix-by-alex-carbonell-revisited.html

      Delete
    2. Hi Sunset Goddess,

      Your blog is really helpful! Your insights are very informative and enlightening. :)

      I have a question though, you mentioned here that you give tips to the stylist, the assistant, the staff doing shampoo/rinse. Wow, that's a lot of people! but I agree that you should show gratitute to the people who gave you an excellent service. Now, my query is how much is an appropriate tip? would 10% of the service price be enough, or 20%? how about the assistants, is 10% ok?

      In this salon, is there a tip box or envelope at the reception? or do we hand over the tips directly to the person?

      Thanks in advance, and I hope you share your thoughts on this. :)

      Delete
    3. Hi thanks for your question. I really don't base it so much on any percentage, just on how much I can afford and the level of service I've received. For the one doing the shampooing and rinsing, P50-P100 is pretty much ok I guess, and higher than that for the one doing the coloring and the cutting.

      In Studio Fix, yes, there's a tip box and they give you little envelopes to put your tip. I like to hand it over to the person I'm giving the tip to since I want to be able to say thank you to them in person as well. But if you're shy, you can just leave it with the receptionist. One thing I like in Studio Fix is that I don't really feel compelled to give tips but since I like their service a lot, I can't help but give :) As I said above, I thought before that Alex owned the salon since his name is on the sign, but I understand he's the creative director and so some people are confused whether to give tips or not. But I do give tip, because it's one way of showing how much I appreciate the service :) Hope this helps. Cheers!

      Delete
    4. yes, sunset goddess, this response really helped.. thank you! :)
      It gave me an idea on how much to tip the staff, and yes, I agree that the person who'll do the cutting and coloring should receive more since they are the ones "doing the magic".. hehehe :)
      I appreciate you feedback and more power to you! I will update you once I am done with my services with them. Cheers and stay pretty! :)

      Delete
    5. Hi Anon! Yes, please do update us here :) Thanks and hope you love the service :)

      Delete
  6. Hi Sunset Goddess! Does he cut for boys too? How much would it cost me for the haircut and highlights? Btw, thanks for the info. Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he does cut for boys as well. But I think it's also the same price as girl's. For information on highlights and price, read my post http://sunsetgoddessmanila.blogspot.com/2012/02/studio-fix-by-alex-carbonell-revisited.html.

      Thanks! :)

      Delete
  7. Hi! would you still recommend Sei Salon for a bob cut?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Based on my experience there back in 2008, Chiyo gave a great bob cut. It's a classic style so I don't think you can do wrong with it. Just make sure you really like such a short style. :)

      Delete
  8. hi, how much did you tipped on alex?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...